Sep 16, 2017

A Brief Taste of the Canadian Rockies

Having been here for almost two days, weather has been anything but cooperative in Jasper. The sunset shot at Medicine lake was rained out, though it did provide for a very moody black and white. Sunrise the next day at Patricia lake wasn't much better with heavy patches of clouds obstructing the entire mountain range. After hopelessly waiting around for 2 hours I finally call it quits. On my drive towards Banff the clouds lifted slightly though everything was still covered in a thick layer of hazy however the drive itself was very picturesque, surrounded by glacier mountains and emerald lakes. My first impression after arriving in Banff was that it felt much larger and commercialized than Jasper. Where Jasper felt rugged and secluded in a sense, the same could not be said of Banff. The best aspect of the town of Banff was how close it was to Vermillion Lakes, where I ended up going for sunset. Despite the fact that it was still very hazy, there was a few instances where the sun did manage to peak through slightly.

However the best shot of the night was at twilight as the full moon lit up the sky. My last day before the workshop was spent in Banff and Yoho. By 6:00am I was standing in front of Lake Louise waiting for sunrise. It was an overcast morning as I stood there with a handful of others. By 7:30 a soft warm glow hit the mountain sides and reflected into the lake. It was a sight to remember and my favorite of the day, that is until I saw Moraine Lake, whose beauty was beyond words. The water there was a rich sapphire blue, clear and still enough to reflect the mountain ranges. On the shore red canoes were lined up providing that perfect contrast.
The remainder of the day brought me to Emerald Lake. There the mountains stretched out majestically over the turquoise water providing a great panorama. As dusk approached and the packs of tourists boarded their bus, a sense of tranquility draped over the park as the mountains turned a soft pink hue.
The next five days can only be described as exhausting but rewarding. Since this was my first time joining a photography workshop, I really didn't know what to expect. However I soon realized the positive impact of being around a group of people with the same passion, despite the weather conditions being less than optimal. Everyday we would set out at 5:30am in hopes of catching that magical shot and most days it ended in disappointment. After breakfast we'd all optimistically pray for better weather as we went in search of better light and composition before finally settling on our sunset location. In the end out of the total 8 days I was there I did not end up catching one full sunset or sunrise. Don't get me wrong I managed to get some shots I liked very much but they were quite unique for the location given the iconic shots. Looking back I still had a great time, meeting and learning with a great group of people and can't wait to do it again. Chasing the light has officially become an adrenaline high and addicition for me. You can view more of my photos from this trip at https://www.flickr.com/photos/148791230@N07/albums

0 comments:

Post a Comment